The siding is one of the most important components of your home as it helps protect the entire structure from the elements. Unfortunately, this leaves the siding as one of the most vulnerable areas of your home, and it can sometimes become damaged earlier than expected. Here are the five potential culprits behind your home’s early siding problems.
- Fading – While siding manufacturers can do a good job at releasing products that can resist fading from sunlight exposure, it’s not going to last forever. As time goes by, ultraviolet (UV) light will cause discoloration eventually, creating an inconsistent appearance that can affect your curb appeal.
- Pest Issues – If your home has wood siding, it automatically means it’s vulnerable to pests and the damage they bring. Woodpeckers may be searching for a meal, and bugs may be looking for a new home and food. Termites can also tunnel their way through your siding, affecting its protective capabilities. If you notice that your siding is being affected by pests, use insecticides, and call a siding repair professional as soon as you can.
- Poor Installation – While there are many contractors out there who can properly install your siding, there are also a select few that may do a poor job of it. Poor installation is something you’ll want to avoid because it can drastically reduce your siding’s lifespan. With that in mind, always conduct thorough research when searching for a contractor to do some work in your home.
- Moisture Issues – Siding is made to keep moisture away from your home. However, if some form of damage manages to slip your notice, it can cause some serious moisture problems in your home. This can lead to mold and mildew growth, which can be a health hazard for your household members.
- Poor Maintenance – While most siding materials are said to be low-maintenance, it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take care of it. It will still need regular inspections, or the hidden problems can pile up and cause major problems for you and your home. Therefore, always have your siding inspected every now and then, especially after severe weather.
Turn to Atlas Construction for your home improvement needs. We are your leading provider of gutter replacement and commercial roofing services. Give us a call at (828) 585-6010, or fill out our contact form to book an appointment.